Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Shad on the Kennebacasis


Last night I was invited to join my friend Mike Donovan (Maritime Worms) on a hunt for stripers in the Kennebacasis.   We took off just after dinner, and headed out with tempered hopes as the water levels are still very high, and as such the stripers could be virtually anywhere!    Normally with normal water levels, the stripers would be concentrated in the deeper holes of the river where they are easier to find.


After a while of trolling and marking various swarms of fish, I eventually hooked into what I assumed was grass, but turns out I jigged a small yellow perch with a modified rubber eel.    I guess even without stripers around, the eels are good for catch fish!


Eventually Mike hooked into a few shad, and eventually was able to land the third one.  I hadn't brought any gear for shad, so I put one of Mike grubs on my line but no luck.   Eventually Mike switch to a different rod/lure, and I borrowed his.    Using that setup, I finally managed to hook one and got it into the boat.


It was a great evening on the Kennebacasis.    My thanks to Mike for taking me out and I can't wait to get out again and find the elusive first striper of the season!